Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fw: H-ASIA: An apology - Lobsang Sangay to lead the Tibetan government-in-exile (additional) (fwd)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Conlon" <conlon@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
To: <H-ASIA@H-NET.MSU.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2011 1:12 AM
Subject: H-ASIA: An apology - Lobsang Sangay to lead the Tibetan
government-in-exile (additional) (fwd)


> H-ASIA
> April 30, 2011
>
> An Editorial Apology re: Lobsang Sangay to lead the Tibetan
> government-in-exile
> **********************************************************************
> From: Frank Conlon <conlon@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
>
> On April 29 I posted an item from Professor Magnus Fiskejo of Cornell
> University regarding the developments in leadership of the Tibetan
> government-in-exile.
>
> In my editing I added the following sentence:
>
> "I may add a post-script to Frank Joseph Shulman's post of April 28:"
>
> to the original text which was:
>
> Lobsang Sangay elected Tibetan exile leader
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13205481
>
> ... and this video interview w him, very interesting:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13188931
>
> --
> Professor Fiskesjo has complained of my putting words in his mouth. I
> have apologized to him directly, explaining that I was adding a line to
> connect his post to a previous one from another H-ASIA member. Since
> he responded with what I take to be dissatisfaction, I am offering this
> public apology. Usually in cases of posts within a developing thread,
> editors may add an introductory or linking line; usually it is "With
> reference to..." In this instance, for no particular reason I put
> something into first person and caused offence. My initial response to
> Professor Fiskejo prompted a reiteration of shock that an editor would do
> what I had done, with the further comment that:
>
> "I cannot understand what the justification would be for any editor
> pretending to speak with someone else's voice, and cannot imagine any
> circumstance when that would be permissible. Quite shocked, I'll beware of
> posting to H-Asia and if I read any I will suspect thay have not been
> written by the supposed posters."
>
> I assure all H-ASIA members that whenever significant editing is required
> of a post, the post is returned to the original senders with a query or
> suggestions for revision. There are no "supposed posters" on H-ASIA and
> there never have been.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Frank
>
> Frank F. Conlon
> Professor Emeritus University of Washington
> Co-editor, H-ASIA
>
> ******************************************************************
> To post to H-ASIA simply send your message to:
> <H-ASIA@h-net.msu.edu>
> For holidays or short absences send post to:
> <listserv@h-net.msu.edu> with message:
> SET H-ASIA NOMAIL
> Upon return, send post with message SET H-ASIA MAIL
> H-ASIA WEB HOMEPAGE URL: http://h-net.msu.edu/~asia/

No comments:

Post a Comment